About Thermo Fisher Scientific:
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $24 billion and approximately 70,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands - Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services - we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
In the Life Science Research industry, there are highly qualified scientists and engineers called “Technical Service Engineer” part of our European Technical Engineering center (TEC) from Thermo Fisher Scientific who are sharing their expertise and technological advancements with researchers, helping them in making the world a better place—whether they’re discovering a cure for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe.
The job is all about the customer and providing help and guidance. A satisfied customer with positive feedback for the support you have provided is worth more than anything else and ultimately a validation for the quality of your work. You will be supporting Life Sciences instruments part of Applied Biosystems and Ion Torrent products to both internal and external customers.
Aside from the obvious technical skills related to having a scientific or engineering background, laboratory experience, data analysis & problem solving and language skills, there are a large number of soft skills that are vital for the role. Probably the most crucial of these is the desire to help people and solve problems. Empathy and responsibility are critical traits for Support & Service Staff to have and both of which drive that ownership and care of the customer. Ultimately, it is the customer experience that matters above all else.
• Delivers Professional Service activities to provide optimum technical service assistance to customers, achieving customer satisfaction and loyalty.
• As the first line of contact, triage, qualify and troubleshoot instrument hardware, software and computer-related problems over the phone and emails.
• Provides responsive support and generally works to ensure that customer is successful in the use of Instrumentation.
• Ensures response times are met when contacting customers and that on-site visits are scheduled in line with contractual requirements.
• Assures that its own activities are in line with the activities of the rest of the local commercial organization (sales & support) and informs customers of the company's other product and services.
• Bachelor degree minimum and proven professional background in engineering, clinical engineering, life science or related subjects.
• Computer literate.
• Good verbal and written command of English (technical) language.
• Excellent communication skills, the ability to clearly and concisely communicate to Customers (and peers) in the covered language(s), fluency in German/French/Spanish/Italian.
• Strong customer focus, being capable to understand customer problems, set expectations, active listening and questioning skills, and ability to cope with stressful situations.
• Good analytical thinking power, the ability to develop troubleshooting skills.
A typical day in Technical Engineer Center:
• You won’t become bored: Apart from having very interesting questions from researchers that will challenge your mind and technical knowledge, the job often requires you to interact with many different departments and colleagues to solve inquiries. Inquiries may be received via telephone or email.
• You’ll prove yourself as creative and flexible every day, looking for fast and effective solutions. At the same time, it is important to keep on learning, to share experience and knowledge with other colleagues and be always aware of new products and solutions.
• Technical Service & Support is a place where diversity and inclusion are valued. It contributes to a great team spirit and teamwork, which is the key to our success to deliver great customer experience.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.