The Borders General Hospital is situated on the outskirts of Melrose and opened in 1988. The hospital has 320 beds and 1700 staff. Recent developments include the opening of a local renal unit, improved outpatient facilities, building of a specialist palliative care unit, a new MRI scanner and DEXA scanner. Co-terminus with the Emergency Department is the Borders Emergency Care Services, providing P.C. out of hours services to the region.