The Directorate-General for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion of the European Commission pursues policy, legislative and financial initiatives in order to contribute to the achievement of a highly competitive social market economy in the European Union within the context of the Europe 2020 Strategy. It aims at creating more and better jobs, improving the functioning of labour markets, combatting poverty and social exclusion, promoting social justice, enabling the free movement of workers and promoting workers' rights, health and safety at work.
EU employment and social policies bring practical benefits to citizens, for example, in finding a job, moving to another Member State for work or other reasons, upgrading skills, etc. In partnership with national authorities, social partners, civil society organisations and other stakeholders, the Directorate-General addresses challenges linked to globalisation, the ageing of Europe's population and changing social realities. Examples of the areas in which we are active include support for:
- More and better jobs through the European Employment Strategy (which brings national policies closer in this field) and the European Social Fund (€9 billion per year managed in partnership with the Member States).
- Free movement of workers and coordination of social security schemes, which means that every EU national has the right to work and to live in any EU country and that people who move between countries are not disadvantaged in relation to social security including healthcare.
- Better working conditions through common minimum standards in the workplace, by supporting and developing social dialogue at European level, by modernising labour relations, and by assisting EU workers who want to be mobile.
- Social inclusionby supporting efforts to combat poverty and social exclusion, reform social protection systems, assess new demographic and social development.
- If you want to know more, please download the most relevant factsheets :
On minimum wage
On equal pay
European Alliance for Apprenticeships
EU Youth Employment Support
Pillar of Social Rights 1
Pillar of Social Rights 2
Pillar of Social Rights 3
Youth Guarantee success story