“What we like most being a Technical Service Engineer (office based role)”
In the Life Science Research industry, there are highly qualified scientists and engineers called “Technical Service Engineer” part of our European Technical Engineering center (TEC) from Thermo Fisher Scientific who are sharing their expertise and technological advancements with researchers, helping them in making the world a better place—whether they’re discovering a cure for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe.
The job is all about the customer and providing help and guidance. A satisfied customer with positive feedback for the support you have provided is worth more than anything else and ultimately a validation for the quality of your work. You will be supporting internal and external customers instrument and PC software as well as cloud services for various product lines including microplate readers and washers and sample preparation systems.
- Provides complete customer support on technical issues by utilizing all available resources. Escalates issues or problems when warranted.
- Demonstrates proficiency in using required computer systems and databases.
- Records and manages customer complaints on technical and quality issues. Troubleshoots, provides advice or solutions to problems as required. Participates in analyzing complaint information to assist in complaint trending and identification of potential quality issues. Work closely with development teams to identify and resolve any technical problems that might arise during the development of software.
- Works with CRM (Customer Relationship Management) system to build a strong customer database and assist our Sales partners by identifying, recording and escalating opportunities to generate revenue.
- Delivers training to educate customers about software products.
- Participates in training, both new product and continuing education to remain at the edge of scientific knowledge.
- Creates implementation plans with customers for the procurement, installation and integration of Store & vHCS products.
- Contributes to departmental and team meetings.
- Position determines own practices and procedures and contributes to the development of new concepts.
- Performs duties independently with an only limited direction given. Job encounters recurring work situations with occasional variations from the norm, involving a moderate to a high degree of complexity. Decisions are made within policy constraints. Occasionally, situations may warrant action outside of company guidelines, in which case representative is encouraged to share the solution with Team Leader prior to action.
- Participates in team tasks, including, but not limited to, complaint analysis, customer surveys, Voice of Customer reports etc.
- May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
- Background in Information Technology and/or Software Development /Testing, including knowledge of modern cloud, service-oriented, and Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Experience with installation and configuration of hardware + software application/database products, specifically hands-on experience in SQL database, Windows applications and OS.
- IT knowledge and basic system administration skills are required. Experience with Network TCP/IP, Firewalls, Active Directory.
- Hands-on experience in installing and configuring computer systems, diagnosing hardware/software faults and solving technical problems.
- Familiarity with building and querying databases.
- Experience with application deployment (Windows installer, MS Store) is a plus.
- Working knowledge of scripting in a language such as PERL, or Java (C#/.NET technologies is a plus).
- Proven ability to quickly learn large amounts of new, complex technical information required.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, to customers and colleagues is required.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities required.
- Prior experience in customer service is preferred.
- LifeScience knowledge may be an advantage.
- In addition, a minimum of bilingual language skills fluent in German with English is an advantage.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.